Podcast 006: Reduce Falls With Ursula Knecht
In this interview, Ursula Knecht, who is a Senior Musculoskeletal and Sports Physiotherapist at HFRC and author of “Back Pain Goodbye”, talks about the people who are at risk of falls and fall-related injuries, how falls occur and what you can do to reduce your risk of falls from both an environmental perspective and also a physical one.
Here are some of Ursula’s key points:
- People aged 65 and older are at increased risk of falls
- Falls can occur in everyday life. For example, when people are carrying something and trip in the garden
- Women typically injure their hips, shoulders and upper limbs while men are more prone to injuring their head when they have a fall
- Many falls can be reduced by having a medication review (and therefore reducing symptoms of dizziness) and wearing the right footwear
- Physically, you can improve your strength through tailored exercises that will improve continence and leg strength leading to improved balance and reduced falls
Please click below and listen to the podcast interview for more information about reducing your risk of having a fall:
For more information, please contact Ursula Knecht at HFRC on 9386 9961.